Skilled Nominated Visa (489)

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (491) – Main applicant

This is a provisional visa. It is for skilled workers who want to live and work in regional Australia

  • With this visa, you can
  • stay in Australia for 5 years
  • live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is valid
  • apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted


Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:

  • submit an Expression of Interest
  • Must be nominated or sponsored by a state or territory government agency, or an eligible relative must sponsor you
  • have an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
  • meet English language requirements
  • be able to score at least 65 on the points test.